Wednesday 12 March 2014

Wallasea Island Update

I visited the Wallasea Island project yesterday to check on the progress of the site, having heard it has changed a fair bit since my last visit. It was very exciting to see the buzz of activity as I watched several trucks shuttling clay from a one point to another and you really see the planned sections of the reserve being to take shape as the different levels and walls are being built up. 

More surprising still was the number of birds which were already present in the small body of water just beyond the construction work, despite all the activity and noise. I saw several swans, mallards, lapwings and a few egrets while at the site and, as the weather was turning, I assume there are typically more present in this area. It just goes to show the resilience and adaptability of wetland birds in the UK. Below I've included some pictures of the work.


Conveyor belt delivering clay from the docked boat

Clay being dropped at the collection point

View of the trucks shuttling clay along the created walls

No comments:

Post a Comment